Whale Shark rescued in Calatagan Batangas

A whale shark, locally known as butanding, was saved from Sitio Gapas, Brgy. Talibayog, Calatagan, Batangas by the combined effort of the local government and the locals. If I knew I could have drove there just to see a whale shark in the flesh and save myself from going to Donsol, Sorsogon for the experience. I'll be happy just to see them up close rather than swim with them in the deep. I'm scared of the deep. Hahaha.

I still remember last 2008 when some butandings fed at Calayo bay. We rushed and camped there for a whole day to see these gentle giants but we haven't got a glimpse even of their dorsal fin. Here are some photos and a video of the rescue.

Poor giant.


Look at it's size in relation with those people, it's huge.

For more photos click here.



At the time of this writing I just have the small picture of what had transpired, I don't have the big picture of the story. Maybe later when Kuya Pao dropped by at the cafe I'll ask him. So I just copied this from the album.
Great NEWS for Us - Ito yong dinaanang PROSESO sa pag SAVE ng Butanding - Whale Shark sa Calatagan, Batangas - Carlos Hermosa nagtext kay Mr. Raul Laderas ng LGU - Mr. Laderas - nagtext kay Ms. Mien-MENRO - Ms. Mien Tumawag sa akin (Jessie) - Jessie tumawag kay Danny Gamboa - Bantay Dagat para alamin ang # ni BD Bennie - malapit sa lugar kung saan andoon ang Butanding. Ang Bantay Dagat Calatagan kasama ang BD ng Balayan at CAPoceans with the present of the Community kumuha ng documentation tapos ang ACTUAL RELEASE at 11:34pm
Photos and video courtesy of Jessie de los Reyes - chairman of the Municipal Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Management Council (MFARMC) in Calatagan

Comments